Got Tape?

Back in 2008, Hollywood launched a ‘NO H8 crusade’ to defeat Proposition 8 in California; a bill that would limit marriage to a man and woman. It was a slick campaign featuring glamorous stars with duct tape on their mouths representing the inability to fully express ones personal beliefs and feelings.

Cool.

What I didn’t realize until months later, is that after the vote, a “No on 8” group petitioned the courts in California for a list of the names of all the people who donated to, or supported, the proposition. The justice system agreed they had the right to these lists, which immediately resulted in a broad intimidation and retaliation campaign with activists showing up in loud groups at people’s homes and businesses to harass them for exercising their constitutional rights. Houses, shops, churches and cars were vandalized, lives were threatened, careers were destroyed.

Not cool.

An editorial in the Wall Street Journal at the time warned that this could be the beginning of some scary stuff.. and boy, were they right.

Regardless of where you stand on issues of the day, all of us should defend each others’ right to express our personal beliefs and feelings without fear of pop-up enforcement squads descending on our homes, schools or businesses to harass people into submission or force those who believe differently into involuntary compliance.

Speak up now to defend this most basic American freedom..

or buy duct tape.

One billion percent agree that we have to allow opinions and allow open forum and debate. To limit opposing views is sort of like communism, or fascism. Alas…people just don’t get the definition. Also…we were in cosmic thought today. My post is sort if like yours

Just got out of the shower..(taking it easy today) gonna sit down and read. How did you make out with vaccine?

So far so good. Arm a bit sore. My neck is sore but I don’t think it’s related. You?

So far so good. I did those windmills everyone was talking about with my arm this time and I have to say, it hurts 1/3 as bad as the first shot. I have a bit of pms-y low back ache but hey, that could be because my dog infringes on my space in bed and I wake up all contorted in the morning..

I did the windmills too, and my arm does hurt less. I think my neck is pillow related…

As CRAZY as it may seem..I think the darn windmills worked..

I know!!

I am horrified by how many people seem to think that it’s okay to silence those they disagree with, especially since most of them are young, which means they’ll be in charge in a few years. They have no idea just how precious freedom of expression really is.

People have created safe spaces around themselves and no one better dare bring up some topic that hasn’t been pre-approved. Reminds me of when they interview celebs on TV and they rip off their mics in a huff and stomp out of the studio.. gee whiz..grow up..it’s not like you’re going to melt if something you disagree with is verbalized-you’ll be OK..I promise. Most disturbingly though a TV newscaster (Lester Holt?)recently declared that the “other side” of an argument doesn’t need to be presented in order to fairly cover a controversial topic..HUH??-😳

And they wonder why so many people don’t trust the news media any more….