Vaccine Day!

“I feel like I’m a part of history!”

“This is the first day of the rest of my life!”

“Thank-you so much!”

These were some of the sentiments I heard a few weeks ago at a vaccine event held by our health department. I was serving as a volunteer through our local chapter of United Way; my job simply to check paperwork and funnel folks to the correct stations to get their vaccines. The day after I was there, our county shifted from using volunteers to hiring personnel to work these clinics, so this was truly a one shot deal for me. (Get it? One shot..? 😂)

This experience, especially on the heels of the year we have lived through, felt like crisp, clear air blowing in following a wicked storm. After all the confusing hoopla about the CDC and Fauci and masks and Trump and blah blah blah.. (you lived through it too) it was electric to see hope transformed into reality, to witness that moment when the genius of scientists coupled with the (surprising) efficiency and laser focus of government produces a miracle that is..

poured into vials..

packed into coolers

and delivered to a make-shift vaccine site set up in a former, small town appliance store.

I will not soon forget one woman dressed in a peach colored, polyester suit standing in the short line patiently waiting; she was 102 years old. Everyone was fussing over her, making her feel like a million bucks after the director announced she had just had a birthday. When it was her turn, she marched right up to the station, took off her jacket, sat in the folding chair, exposed her wrinkled arm and thanked the nurse. I stood there watching, doing the math.. this woman was born in 1918, the year of the Spanish Flu.

I will keep this lovely lady, and all of the other folks I met that day, in mind this morning as I gratefully receive my first vaccine..

“I feel like I’m a part of history!”

“This is the first day of the rest of my life!”

“Thank-you so much..everyone!”

1. My hubby and I had an appointment to receive the vaccine a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately because of his chronic conditions he could not receive this particular one (Acra-Zeneca) and now we are waiting again. I will be vastly relieved when we finally get vaccinated.

I am so happy for you. I am sure you will feel an immense feeling of relief! Stay healthy!

Oh Carol..that must have been a kick in the gut. Do you have to wait for a totally different vaccine like Moderna or Pfizer?

1. Yes we do. And yes, it was very disappointing, but we will eventually get a vaccine that is safe for my hubby. We just have to continue with social distancing, etc. etc. It’s not the end of the world but I had been looking forward to family visits once again – that will happen too, all in good time. Thanks, Cindy.

I get the feeling that the speed, and amount, of vaccine deliveries is about to increase rapidly. I read the other day that production (esp at Pfizer) is humming along at a great clip. Hopefully you will get ‘the call’ sooner than you think.

3. I am going to check at the building where they’re being administered to see if they have any of the alternatives yet. I don’t see the point in scheduling an appointment if they don’t have any yet.

I am not overly worried about it. I know we will get something that works fairly soon. I am looking forward to having a celebratory dinner once we are all vaccinated. 🙂

Oh Carol..won’t it be great??

5. Yes, so great. I am so looking forward to seeing family and friends again – and hugs, I miss hugs so much.

I remember many months ago when my daughter and her husband came to visit. When it was time for them to leave, I wrapped a huge towel around my head about three times and squeezed the daylights out of both of them..it felt great but I also felt like crying.. dark times..can’t wait to slowly step into the light again.

7. Yes it has been so hard on our collective spirits. I am looking forward to days of light and laughter. They’re coming!

Yes they ARE!!!!

2. Kimberly says:

Congrats to you!!

THANKS KIM!!!! I kept the waiting room entertained with nervous jokes..what a crowd..what a crowd..haha! Told ’em I’d see them all in a month again..😂..they’re probably re-scheduling right now..

3. Kimberly says:

They are calling all their friends to reschedule when you are there! Everyone loves you and your sense of humor

Meh.. not so sure..wouldn’t be surprised if the pharmacist herself wasn’t putting in for a day off in a month..and I was her FIRST “customer”..she was probably thinking sheesh, this gonna be a long day today..haha! Did you get yours yet?

I just got vaccinated today!

YAY!!!!!! (what a happy coincidence!!👍) Can you believe it? We are “on our way…” 😀

I know!! I feel a little more hopeful right now

That describes the feeling of being vaccinated perfectly! How nice for that woman, too. I’m lucky, in the my husband has had both shots, and my daughter, son, daughter-in-law and I have all had our first and have appointments for our second. My son in law has an appointment for his first shot Sunday!

Arm “smarted” a bit yesterday..but all is good today. 👍 I was joking with a friend that I get all my Guillain Barre symptoms the hour BEFORE a vaccine..HAHA! Nervous Nilly.. I gotta get over that one day!