HUGE photo project nearing completion..YAY!!! 😅

Well…I am almost done with phase one of my photo organization project which began around the time we sank into Covid. I had bins and bins of loose photos, kids art, greeting cards, clippings and “stuff” collected over decades of raising our four kids.

Step one was to try and organize piles. I dedicated the entire guest room (Didn’t have to worry about visitors this year! 🥴) to the effort as it required so much space. I had boxes lined up across two walls to toss pictures and papers into as they were separated. This was, by far, the longest, toughest and most overwhelming part of the entire project.

Sadly, most of our photos had no dates on the back, so organizing them by year was extremely difficult. Because we moved as often as we did, some categories were obvious.. most however were not, and I wound up creating ‘catch-all’ categories like “birthdays” “Easter” “vacations” “Christmases” and “school days” instead.

Then came the scanning.

I used the Epson, FASTFOTO scanner (about $600) which worked like a charm. The computer end of it had a pretty steep learning curve, and there are frustrating limitations, but I was able to create files and share them on the cloud with our adult kids as they were created.

This “real time” sharing has been the best part of the process.

Eventually, when I am completely done, my husband will put all of these files on some kind of thumb drive and give one to each of our kids..but these will contain an overwhelming number of pictures. Sharing the photos (in the cloud) every few days, as they were uploaded, has been a fun way to enjoy manageable bites of family history over time. We have all had some great laughs.

My next step is to tackle the actual albums. They are getting old and yellowed and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to successfully remove the pictures without ruining them..but I’ll eventually figure it out.

For now, I’m just basking in the glow of an almost completed phase one.

1. Luanne says:

How do you scan with that scanner? Does it go through like a document on a fax? That’s what it looks like from the photo.

Hi Luanne, So you can take a stack of photos..like maybe 20..put them in that top section, press the button and it pulls them through and spits them out one at a time. I didn’t want the type of machine where I’d have to lift a lid and go one at a time..I have THOUSANDS of photos-that would have taken way too long! Once the pics are loaded on my computer, they display and you can do “minor editing.” This epson fast foto machine was well worth the money..and I’m assuming I’ll be able to sell it once I’m done, cause I won’t need it again.

1. Luanne says:

That is exactly my problem! The quantity is ridiculous, and this one at a time is just impossible.

Yup..I told my husband, if I have to do it one at a time, I’m not doing it. So he found this little beauty..it’s not perfect, but it worked fine for my needs. It’s quiet and quick and you can put in small stacks. My beefs really have more to do with the limitations of the software..but functionally, it’s great..and it gets the job done.

When I’ve had to remove photos “stuck” in old albums, I’ve found that dental floss works great!

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!! Thank-you!