Are you a good leader?

Now before you say you aren’t in a leadership position..think again. I’m betting there are people (family, friends, co-workers) in your life who look to you for guidance and reassurance. I recently listened to an excellent series of messages by Andy Stanley on providing leadership through difficult times.

(These are difficult times.)

The most important concept I took away from this presentation was that while CERTAINTY is not always possible, CLARITY is. Leaders should always seek to provide certainty, but when they can’t, clarity is the second best option.

CLARITY is grounded in HONESTY and truthful communication. A commitment to clarity requires taking the TIME necessary to keep people truthfully informed and up-to-date so there are fewer jarring surprises and unexpected shifts.

People don’t expect their leaders to be perfect..in fact they probably expect them to make mistakes. (They’re only human) What folks cannot accept is being manipulated by leaders pursuing alternative agendas..leadership is after all based in SERVICE. A good leader doesn’t “lord over” or push around those who follow, he or she SERVES and RESPECTS them by providing clarity and facts.

These Covid months have been a leadership proving ground on many levels. How have you been doing?

Have you been consistent, honest and transparent?

Have you taken the time to explain decisions and choices that could affect others?

Have you carefully listened to those with whom you may disagree?

Have you shown respect for those who look up to you?

I hope you enjoy this thought provoking presentation, it is totally worth your time.

Hmmmm…does anyone look up to me? I’ll get back to you in that one…

Something tells me the answer is YES…😁

😉💗

2. bleuwater says:

Interesting post. I always try to be honest, consistent and transparent, but of course fail from time to time. As far as listening to those who disagree, my son and I have opposing political leanings. But, we both take the time to listen to each and surprisingly find so many things we agree on. I think that’s important because if you don’t listen — really listen — it’s easy to be strident in opinions and not open to new ideas.

Oh, I agree! Political upheaval comes and goes– but our most meaningful relationships should not be tethered to any of it. As far as being honest..I like it when people level with me..I can handle the truth and it makes me feel respected when others know they can “give it to me straight.”

3. I really feel for leaders of corporations, religious organizations, governments, etc, etc. It must be such an extremely heavy load for those who are truly leaders in the best sense of the word.

Can you even imagine?

1. I cannot, nor do I want to, that would be way too heavy for this tired mind.

sheesh, me too.