The Golden Hour

The ‘golden hour’ is a term used for the all-important 60 minutes after a traumatic injury when aggressive, medical intervention has the greatest potential to save a human life. What I didn’t know was that the golden hour also refers to the hour after sunrise and the hour before sunset when photographers get their best shots.

I too have a golden hour, a few golden hours actually, and they occur at the same time every day right after I wake up. Early morning is my zen-zone, when I am at my most creative, most relaxed and most effective. My brain just works best in these golden hours. I have a good friend who is the exact opposite, she comes alive at about 10pm every night.

I’m guessing we all have a specific time of the day when we function at our best. The question is, are we taking advantage of our power hours?

Last week, at the prompting of my new planner, I spent some time considering my goals and aspirations for 2021. I wrote down my over-all vision for the year and then broke it down into monthly, weekly and of course daily goals created in support of that greater picture.

My next step was to prioritize and to make sure that those things of greatest importance to me find their way into my golden hours. It’s the same thinking I use when I buy a new tree for my garden, I make sure I put it in the most optimum spot for sun and water so it has the best chance to grow. This actually sounds easier than it was by the way.. I had to disrupt and move some pretty sweet and comfortable routines in my “golden space” to make room for these newly identified priorities.

Are you taking full advantage of your valuable golden hours, or is it time to move some things around?

i have exactly the same golden hours – it is quiet, the world has not begun its busy=ness yet, and i am at my best

You are probably the only person I know who wakes up earlier than me..HAHA!! If I ever don’t see your post, I’m calling 911..!! 😂

please do!)

I’m a morning person and I have to remind myself of that. When I don’t get things done in the morning I’m useless

Gosh I’m the same way..I mean if it’s 3pm, I’m fighting off the pull to get into my pajamas. That’s part of the reason I need to do a better job selecting what I do in the morning..these are my peak performance hours- I’m not taking advantage of that as I should.

I was much better at it pre COVID. Now, family around has really zapped me

You know I get it..I remember when the kids would come (and go and come and go) home from college in summer and it was great fun, but all my routines blew up..they just did. As sad as I was to see them go back, it was also good to get back into my personal synch. This covid, I mean this must be like an endless summer..

That’s just it. It’s an endless loop of people blowing up my routines

You sound like my friend’s husband who recently had a meltdown with all the “kids” home making messes..he referred to them as “these people” in his rant, my friend said she had to correct him “by these people, you mean your kids, right?” 😂

3. You have nudged my lazy self! I do not plan ahead. I am more of a “by the seat of my pants” kind of person. I do not set goals, as such. Oh, I have a airy-fairy dream of what I’d like to accomplish but I am so not good at the planning of how to get there.

I love this, and it may just be time for a change in how I operate. So, thanks for this, Cindy.

My default has always been ‘seat of my pants” but this year, probably due to 2020 being so extremely unpredictable, it feels almost cathartic to create somewhat of a framework around my days in support of a greater vision for myself. I also realize how much time I waste and that my best hours weren’t filled with my best options..that change has been hard over the past few days but it has yielded the best “fruit.”