Hanging on?

A few months ago I shared a story about a “foot grater” that removes dry skin off your heels. In my excitement to try the new device, I over-shredded my feet and pretty much had to tip toe through the ensuing week because my poor tootsies were so raw and painfully sore.

Lesson learned: The key to successfully getting rid of dead skin (without inflicting serious damage) is to take it slow.. very, VERY slow! Gentle exfoliation is the only way.. true for removing dead skin and true for removing Christmas decorations.

I spend the week after Christmas incrementally, methodically taking down our holiday finery. This step by step process, slowly spread over 7 days, prevents the realization that Christmas is over from hitting me like a hailstorm of bricks.

A “gentle” and measured “dismantling” of decorations helps blunt the onset of post holiday doldrums, and also improves the chances that those miles and miles of twinkling lights will be more thoughtfully rolled up and stored.

Letting go of Christmas, once the day has passed, has never been easy for me..but then this past year has been full of letting go.. hasn’t it? I met a young woman a few weeks ago who described the complicated dismantling of her 2020 destination wedding in Mexico. The amazing thing about her is that she let it all go without resentment or anger and moved on with her life- completely. The only thing she’s hanging on to is her wedding dress in the hopes that she will wear at a (post Covid)reception one day.

Letting go of a vision, an event, a relationship or the holidays is always tough, but it’s a healthy process that clears the deck and sets us on the road to fresh opportunities. You can’t grab on to something new without letting go of the old.

As I take down my porch lights today, I’m going to imagine myself slowly unraveling some of the less than productive habits I wrapped myself in to better manage my way through this stressful past year. Like Christmas decorations, they had their moment, they served a purpose, but it’s time for a gentle exfoliation.

I did the same foot thing!

I couldn’t believe it..I mean I seriously could NOT walk right for days..could you? I still use the thing, but just a gentle swipe or two every few days does the trick. That thing should come with a warning label!

i was over excited about how well it worked, until…..)

HAHA!!! I KNOW!!!

I keep trying to let things go this year…but I’m still filled with anger. There comes a point…

I get it..I guess that’s why I was so impressed by the girl whose wedding was blown up thanks to Covid..she was very matter of fact about it all..and most importantly, I met her at that United Way Christmas event..so here she was, helping others. 😬..I mean, wow.. Honestly, I learned in my early twenties that if I didn’t let go of some $#!+ from my youth, I’d be dragging around a ton of anger…and it could handicap me for the rest of my life. It probably helps that I have a horrible memory anyway..unlike my husband..who I can tell is cumulatively getting more and more PO-ed this year. I’m gonna bet you have a good memory too..

Alas…a good memory is a curse….

Meh..I wish I had one. I guess it’s like any other “super-power,” it can be used for good or…

Any blessing can be a curse….

Now that’s worthy of a post!!!

That’s a good idea!!

3. Look at letting go as making room for more blessings and greater things. I hope your toes/foot heals sooner than later Cindy, happy nee year in advance!

Thanks Darren! Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

I’m always a little sad when I take down my decorations (although I wait until after Epiphany to do it), but once they are down, it always feels right. I agree that there comes a time to simply let go and move on! (Although my husband disagrees. Given half a chance, he’d leave the Christmas decorations up until February, or longer!)

I never judge anyone for keeping their stuff up..Years ago in the town we moved to, one house kept their tree up every year until Spring..lit up, right there in the front window for all to see..come to find out, they had kept their tree up for a family member expected home from Vietnam and he never made it back.so they kept it up every year thereafter like that in remembrance of the time they waited for him to come home..😩

How sad! But what a wonderful example of why we shouldn’t judge. We rarely know the true reason people do the things they do, and often their reasons are good ones.

Oh for sure..I always think of this because honestly, I thought it was pretty weird having that big tree at the window for all to see so long after the holidays..until I heard why.

6. oneta hayes says:

Cindy, this is an especially worthy and well written post. Hope January has had an event that filled the hole left by Christmas past.

Thanks Oneta! 🥰