Life Privilege

My daughter texted me video of her first ‘real walk’ using crutches last night.

She had major orthopedic surgery in early November and after 6 weeks using a walker, was given the green light yesterday to put weight on her leg. I’ve hidden her face to preserve her privacy, but you’d better believe there’s a happy camper under that grey dot!

Her recovery has not only been a test of mental and physical endurance, but a master class in being grateful for the things we take for granted..like taking a shower, shaving your legs, making a sandwich, getting your mail, scooping a litter box, driving, going to work, picking up something you dropped, taking a walk..

I can’t tell you how many times we had to turn around in her wheelchair because the sidewalks were lifted by roots or were impassable for some other reason. Our trips around her neighborhood exposed the incredible challenges those with handicaps face every day.

For someone who works in healthcare as my daughter does, I’m certain this experience forever personalizes the frustration, fear and helplessness felt by so many facing illness or disability.

It sure made me realize how much I take for granted:

Being able to get out of bed on my own,

putting on slippers,

sitting on a soft sofa.

I’ll freely admit that prior to November I suffered from a pretty bad case of life-privilege, but as my daughter opens up each new phase of her recovery and is re-gifted with abilities we all take for granted, I’m here to tell you I’ve been cured.

I don’t need one thing for Christmas..

My husband and I were able to make our own coffee and tea this morning,

so can all of our kids.

November 2020

Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Thank-you (on her behalf) She’s got grit, I’ll tell ya that much.

💗💗

Although I wouldn’t wish a bad experience on anyone, sometimes they do teach us about what is truly important in life, and how much we are blessed. Thanks for sharing this reminder! And I’m so glad your daughter is doing better.

Thanks Ann- couldn’t agree more!

3. Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery. You are so right… Though these unfortunate incidents should never happen to anyone but sometimes they become an eye opener about those things which we never thought are so precious.

Thank-you for that! 💜–and yes, it was a major learning experience for me (humility AND gratitude) and I wasn’t even the one who had surgery!!

1. I can understand, others specifically mothers learn a lot through their kids☺️

You’ve got THAT right!!!!

3. A mother to mother knows and feels same 😊
        Have a safe and wonderful week ahead Cindy.

You too Deeksha!