“Sour Grapes”-Week-end Movie Recommendation

Welcome to wine enjoyed in a “statusphere” I never even knew existed: a world of competitive auctions, lavish tastings, extravagant dinners and sleight of hand so crafty that even the most educated wine connoisseur could be swindled out of millions of dollars.

Sour Grapes (2016) is an intriguing documentary on Netflix that sticks its nose deep into the big business of highly prestigious wine collecting and unravels Rudy Kurniawan’s sophisticated operation designed to profit off of fake wine (that he blends himself btw-😳) and forged labels which he also creates on his own. (sheesh, I can barely make a decent copy of a recipe, and forget it if it comes with a picture! 😂)

Originally from Indonesia, Rudy was living the high life in the United States on an expired visa with a warrant out for his arrest. (Again, I go 5 mph over the speed limit and for sure I’m gonna get busted. This guy? NOPE–He’s livin’ la vida loca, buying mansions, giving interviews, no problem!!) So yeah, in spite of legal issues that would be major stumbling blocks for mere mortals, he still managed to wriggle his way into the most elite inner circles of wine collecting and make millions off the backs of wealthy wine lovers who were so taken by his friendliness, intelligence and disarming demeanor that many would even today still call him a friend.

Obviously my husband and I need not be concerned about being snookered into purchasing a $20,000 bottle of Faux Bordeaux, but this movie was none-the-less a totally fascinating glimpse into what can go wrong when just one wily fox sneaks into the wine cellar..😉

My husband said this was the best thing he watched this pandemic season

It really was good. My hub and I went to a wine tasting recently and while it was fun, we both STINK at identifying wine..with so many people being taken by this one guy, it makes you wonder if the whole thing is a facade.. I mean drink down the good stuff and replace refill it with something from target..would anyone at a posh event even know?? I SURE WOULDN’T!!!

Last weekend we did a blind wine tasting with neighbors…one of our neighbors is a wine snob. Oddly, they all knew what was a Chianti vs merlot vs blend. But, most people did not like the most expensive wine….so who knows….

The class we went to was at Total Wine and more and honestly, we were in a good group..no snobs..(the snobs would NOT be caught dead there I’m sure!) The girl was REALLLY good at explaining the wines and the ones she chose, highlighted the differences between Europe and California.. I mean I could taste the difference in wines from different regions..but I could NEVER identify them on my own..interestingly enough, she also had cheap vs pricey and big bucks didn’t guarantee a favorite at all! Going back to those classes is getting added to my bucket list this morning..(they do Bourbon tastings too) CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Totally fun. We went to Sonoma a few years ago. My only problem was that after the first few tastings, my taste buds were done

Another trip for my bucket list.. and yes, the more I drink the better everything tastes!