Walk Therapy

Years ago when we lived in Pennsylvania, my next door neighbor and I would walk every single morning. Rain, sleet, heat or snow we’d be out there “getting our walk on” in the pre-dawn, pitch blackness. We’d discuss everything that was happening in life.

It was walk-therapy.

We have both moved away from the old neighborhood and our kids are grown, but we are still big walkers.

Walk therapy has become even more important to me in this time of (C-word..🙄) We have gotten to know so many of our neighbors on a much more personal level. We talk about our kids, (the C-word), the weather, our hobbies, our jobs and our pets. We talk about feeling depressed, being bored, being angry.. and having hope. We talk about how grateful we are to live in this community and how blessed we are to have each other as neighbors.

Walk therapy is totally FREE (minus the cost of a good pair of sneakers of course.)

I highly recommend it..now more than ever.

I try to walk. In fact I’m a huge walker…normally. Now it often makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel instead of freeing

Why? are you restricted in where you can go? Too many people?

Technically I can go anywhere. But there are lots of people, plus as I live in an urban area, there’s no real destination. The outdoor space I like to walk, the high line, has been closed. Central park is a bus ride from me, so it’s a lot knowing thee are no bathrooms to use (though they might be open this week) and the botanic gardens are still closed (those are a subway ride anyway) I got bored very quickly of doing a lap around my area park

I get it. 😕..and about the last thing you want is to have a walk make you feel even MORE penned in..that just sucks. Do people bike there or is it just too busy..

Is the highline that elevated deck/boardwalk with landscaping on it? I saw something like that on TV once and I was so impressed- it was GORGEOUS..really well done.

Yes! It’s urban perfection. They even do art exhibits on there…sculptures and such

It looked amazing.. I haven’t been to NYC in decades- my husband is from there and he’s been wanting to take me..had plans for last Oct but I realllly didn’t wanna go.. so we cancelled..oops.. 😕

One of these days….

YUP!! The good Lord willing… 👍

2. I too have felt more connected to my neighbors during this time. We always see each other on our walks and make small talk, something I never engaged in prior to (the c word).

That is SO wonderful.. truly a silver lining and the great untold story…of how communities have never drawn closer.