Searching for something to bring to the Super Bowl Party tomorrow? These little yummies can be assembled today, frozen and popped into the oven right before before kick-off.
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 2 sheets puff pastry (about 1 pound), preferably all-butter
- Honey Dijon mustard
- 18 fully cooked sausages (each about 5 inches long), such as frankfurters, Andouille, or chicken sausages
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Poppy seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, for sprinkling (optional)
- Mustards, such as brown or whole-grain, for serving (optional)
1. On a lightly floured work surface, roll each pastry sheet out into a 12-inch square, then cut into 4-inch squares. Lightly brush lower half of each square with mustard, center a sausage on mustard-coated edge, and brush top inch with egg. Roll sausages in pastry, pressing seams to tightly seal. Brush tops with egg, then sprinkle with poppy seeds or flaky salt. Cut each at an angle into thirds. Freeze pigs in blankets, uncovered, on a parchment-lined baking sheet until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place frozen pigs in blankets 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve warm with mustards.