The last note I texted to my neighbor before we left for our recent trip was “I’m only expecting one package.” By the time we got back, I think she had picked up about ten, including a huge box of oranges.
A few days after we returned, the postal service dropped off our held mail at the front door in a huge plastic bin; five more boxes were stacked on the welcome mat. In the week since then, even more have arrived.
If you were visiting from another planet, you’d probably wonder why boxes like ours have been arriving at doorsteps all over the country and why people keep bringing them into their homes and excitedly putting them under their trees. Any alien 👽 would recognize that some highly anticipated event was coming.
Like parcels delivered to people’s doorsteps, hundreds of old testament verses pointing to the coming of Jesus were written and distributed to people everywhere. Like presents, these prophesies were received by the faithful and tucked away with great anticipation. Like UPS delivery teams, the disciples and those who followed, continue to travel far and wide to bring the revealed gift of Jesus to all who are willing to receive his hope, love and salvation.
There’s a gift outside your door today, are you ready to open it?
- He would be born in Bethlehem of Judah (Micah 5:2).
- He would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14).
- He would have a throne, a kingdom and a dynasty, or house, starting with King David, that will last forever (2 Samuel 7:16).
- He would be called “Wonderful Counselor,” “Mighty God,” “Everlasting Father,” “Prince of Peace,” and would possess an everlasting kingdom (Isaiah 9:6-7).
- He would ride into Jerusalem on a donkey, righteous and having salvation, coming with gentleness (Zechariah 9:9-10).
- He would be pierced for our transgression and crushed for our iniquities (Isaiah 53:5).
- He would die among the wicked ones but be buried with the rich (Isaiah 53:9).
- He would be resurrected from the grave, for God would not allow His Holy One to suffer decay (Psalm 16:10).
- He would come again from the clouds of heaven as the Son of Man (Daniel 7:13-14).
- He would be the “Sun of Righteousness” for all who revere Him and look for His coming again (Malachi 4:2).