Ripped this recipe out of my August OPRAH magazine while at the beach last week-end. I LOVE summer corn, and the ingredients had me intrigued. These corn cakes are just as delicious as I thought they’d be. Serve with a dollop of salsa or sour cream on top.. add additional finely chopped veggies or spices as you prefer..just make sure they stay moist enough to shape into cakes and fry -Delicious, impressive looking and easy to make ahead and keep warm for a buffet.
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour (I used a bit less)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika (I used some Chipotle powder)
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups corn kernels. (I put 5 ears in a pot of water and boiled them for about 6 mins. let them cool, removed kernels.)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 chopped scallions. (I used chopped green onion)
- 2 large, beaten eggs
- About 3 TBSP olive oil- for frying
- I added finely chopped red pepper, garlic and jalapeño powder.
Mix all the ingredients together well with a spatula, adding the egg mixture last and making sure everything is well combined. Texture should be sticky enough to mold into small patties.
Before I placed the cakes on a plate to refrigerate, I dredged each one in a bit of flour, tapping off all the excess. I felt like this created a better seal that would help them keep their shape. I think it also prevented the cheese from melting out when I fried them.
Remove the cakes from fridge about an hour before you cook them so they can come back to room temperature. Fry them gently on Med-low in oil, turning them once when browned.
These cakes are super flavorful if you add enough spice and a bit on the drier side so some kind of topping like salsa is perfect for them!
Recipe by Nikki Dinki, author of an intriguing new cookbook entitled: “Meat on the Side”