Rumors are flying- how did he die?
Was Prince an addict? Was it the flu? I certainly don’t have any inside scoop, but some things feel oddly familiar.
My sister was a smart and talented person with lots of physical ailments. She had been under the care of a number of specialists over many years for a basketful of issues ranging from Fibromyalgia to allergies to chronic headaches. She had great insurance (remember those days?) and she knew how to work the system to get what she needed for her many maladies…both the real and possibly imagined.
I remember a conversation I had with her shortly after Anna Nicole Smith died. The list of the medications found in the starlet’s system sounded alarmingly similar to the stuff my sister had – or was – taking. In addition to her regular list of meds, Anna Nicole was battling the flu and taking even more over-the-counter stuff for relief in the days prior to her death.
“That girl was an idiot” my sister said, “I actually know what I’m doing.”
My sister was found on the floor in her bathroom where she had been for several days. Her barking dogs finally alerted the neighbor who contacted her estranged husband, who called 911.
My mom did not want an autopsy performed, and I guess that’s OK because I’m pretty sure I know what they would have found. My sister always played doctor and no doubt grossly underestimated the possible ramifications of mixing medications. The sad fact is she didn’t “actually know what she was doing.”
Is this what happened to Prince? Who knows, but he certainly wouldn’t be the first celebrity to die of an accidental overdose. Which leads me right to your own stash of drugs..you know, the stuff in your home.
Maybe this is a good week to take a tour of your medicine cabinet and evaluate what’s actually in there. If you are like most people, you have an impressive array of medication (much of it expired) left over from various treatments.
Why not get rid of the pharmaceuticals you don’t need?
You don’t want to put yourself (or a family member) in a position of self-diagnosing and self medicating…Smarter people than you have tried and died. A cabinet full of medication doesn’t make you a physician anymore than a pair of tap-shoes makes you a dancer. Don’t be careless with your health or your life.. repeat after me:
“I am not a doctor.”
TUESDAY TRIVIA- According to the man who installed our alarm system, the first room a burglar “hits” after gaining access to your home is the bathroom..prescriptions are today’s “valuables.”