- Brown ground beef in a large Dutch oven, stirring to crumble. Drain well and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same Dutch oven.
- Add flour and cook over low heat, 3-5 minutes or until a smooth paste forms.
- Gradually add water stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat until bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground beef and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
Kristen, the mother of four hungry kids in Pennsylvania, sent this recipe just in time for the next cold front. This is one of those hearty meals that just feels right at the end of a long day. She encourages substitutions according to what’s available in your pantry and fridge.
2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 (10 oz) package frozen mixed vegetables
1 (28 oz) can of tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce with tomato bits
1 1/2 Tbsp. beef flavored bouillon granules or 1 1/2 bouillon cubes
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
Yield: 13 cups
Serve with crusty bread.